As we enter the new year, it is a good time to take a step back and review your social media marketing to ensure your program is set up to achieve the best results.
In a previous post, I discussed the 5 steps to social media success. Using that as a basis, I have put together a checklist to evaluate your program to make sure your social media house is in order. At the end of the post, I have included a PDF that you can download as a guide.
Social Media Strategy
- What’s your social media marketing objective?
- What is your brand voice for your social media interactions?
- Do you have a social media policy?
- Do you have a solid understanding of your audience, where they are and what content would be valuable to them?
- Do you have an editorial (content) calendar? Check out the social media content calendar commentary from Social Media Examiner
- What metrics are you using to measure your social media efforts? Also, try to measure social media ROI. Yes it can be done.
- Do you have a clear understanding of the role and responsibilities for presence management, content creation, engagement, measurement, etc.?
Social Media Presence
- Do you have a consistent, branded presence on the platforms you are focusing on?
- Are your profile set up to achieve your social media marketing objectives?
- Is your Facebook profile set up to drive Like conversion with a welcome tab and effective profile picture? Check out this Facebook welcome tab example
- Does your twitter account have an avatar, complete bio, website link and other strategic hot links? Also, don’t forget to set up a brand page when Twitter releases them to the public.
- Do you have an active Linkedin company page and YouTube channel?
- Do your profiles incorporate your keywords? You can use this tool for social media keywords.
Social Media Engagement
- Do you have someone responsible for posting consistently?
- Are you responding back to fan/follower comments in a timely manner?
- Are you posting relevant content?
- Are you using a mix of content type? Video, photos, updates, links, etc.
- Do you know the optimal timing and frequency that you should tweet/post?
- Do post/tweet strategically to get engagement?
- Are you listening to the conversations going on about your business and your keywords?
- Are you using 3rd party publishing tools to use your time efficiently?
- Are you integrating your social media into your other marketing efforts (including website and offline)?
Social Media Measurement
- Are you using free or paid tools to analyze your social media results against the metrics you set up in your strategy?
- Are you using Facebook Insights to improve your posts?
- Are you using Google Analytics to measure website traffic to specific pages?
If after going through this checklist you can confidently say that you are meeting most of these, if not all of them, you are probably in pretty good shape for 2012. If you feel I have any others to add or have a question, please leave a comment.